After Dick Lipton kindly linked my post on hyperspheres, I decided that it was time to maybe get back to blogging. I’ve updated my about page (there’s a tab above too). Check back in the near future, I’ll try to update more often.
Ugh. I hate the old theme’s treatment of images (a drop shadow under every image? Really?), so I’m using a new one. This one’s clean and simple, and handles the LaTeX just fine.
Posted in Blog
I forgot to post yesterday. And I was so close to the end of the month!
Oh well. If you’re at all curious about how my talk went (probably not) then I can tell you that it went well. I need some practice on a few things, like planning and time management, and Suresh pointed out that I write microscopically on the board. I also realized that I didn’t plan my board layout well enough, and I glossed over bits that would have really driven the message home.
As for the paper, it’s incredibly fascinating once you get into it. I recommend it to anyone interested in the bound on union find with path compression, and why the hell the inverse Ackermann function appears there.
This weekend, I give you a cop-out post, hopefully a little lighter than my last. Just a few things happening in my sphere.
- I’m addicted to Twitter, ever since I figured out how to use TweetDeck.
- Lots more hits on my layoff post than I thought (25, as of today, rather than my predicted three).
- People still like my hypersphere post, but not as much as when it was new on reddit. I still can’t get over the fact that someone reddit-ed my post! I’m still really flattered.
- My wife and I checked out a few neighborhoods today that we’d move to, and that hopefully we can afford. We’re looking at houses this time (to rent, not to own), and we plan to move at the end of Summer. We’re hoping that the difficulty of selling will work in our favor.
- I officially love Sumatran coffee beans. The flavor is exactly what I’m looking for in a cup of coffee. Of course, for all I know, Sumatran may just be the white zinfandel of coffee.
- I dislike using the word random outside its probabilistic meaning. Desultory, casual, or stray are usually more appropriate words for the way that I find most people use the word random. Unfortunately, I find myself using it inappropriately at times, so I can’t really be that critical.
Have a good weekend!
I forgot to think of anything intelligent to write about for WoBloMo, so you get this post specifically designed to hit the deadline.
You’ll notice that the post date doesn’t have an odd day. WordPress doesn’t flip for DST, so rather than bother with switching it manually (come on, WP, really?), I just leave it at the default, which is GMT. That means that this post will have a date of March 14th, which is Pi Day! But it’s still the 13th where I am, so I will meet the requirement.
Happy Pi Day!
Posted in Blog
Tagged pi day, woblomo
Check out the new banner. I think that I’ve solidified the look of the blog now.
This blog is new, so please don’t mind the theme-default idyllic bridge image. Soon I should have something with lots of lines and arrows and curves and nablas and such. If you want a long-winded explanation of what this blog is about, and why I’m doing what I’m doing, please see my about page.
To sum up, you’ll see posts about topology, about the intersection of topology with computer science, and about some crazy dude who’s having an early mid-life crisis and going to grad school (for a PhD, no less) after several years of a mostly successful career in software.